Linux laptops are a great way to get started if someone likes to stand out of the crowd. There are plenty of compelling reasons to upgrade to Linux laptops. Linux is an open-source operating system.
The best part is that it runs quicker than windows on older technology. It’s also less vulnerable to viruses, so that means it is more secure. In this article, we will look at some of the best Linux laptops available out there.
Our Picks for 2022
1. Lenovo ThinkPad T490s Laptop – Editor’s Pick
Lenovo’s inexpensive and adaptable laptop has all the features you would expect from a competent budget-friendly laptop, regardless of which operating system you choose. This laptop works smoothly with Linux open-source operating system without any issues.
It is a 14-inch laptop. Lenovo T490 is also very lightweight, with only 3.4 pounds and measuring only.7 inches thick. However, even though it is small in size, it is one of the most solid and durable laptops that has been put through a series of complex inspections. It is done so that it will ensure that this laptop can work in even the worst situations.
Talking about its specifications, this laptop has a 10th generation Intel processor. The RAM of this computer is 8GB, which is fantastic. If you have some files to store, then you can easily do that. T490 is also a superb multitasking capability.
The next thing that is worthy of mention is its battery life. It can run up to sixteen hours continuously. It also comes with an SD card slot so that you can quickly expand your storage efficiency.
Lenovo has different laptops that offer a range of specifications according to your demands. If you need more storage, more RAM, or a faster processor, but among all the laptops, T490 is one of the budget-friendly and works best with Linux.
- Fingerprint Reader
- Backlit Keyboard
- 1 Year Lenovo Warranty
2. ASUS Chromebook Flip – Best Chromebook for Linux
This ASUS Chromebook is an excellent pocket-friendly alternative if you want to try out the Linux operating system within your specified budget. This laptop offers some very fantastic features and chassis.
There has been a conception that Chromebooks are only entertainment gadgets. But this laptop will change this perception. It’s a highly adaptable system that provides excellent CPU performance when required. It also saves battery life when you are not using it. You can easily do any work on the Linux operating system on this laptop.
This particular model has a Core m3 processor, 8GB of RAM. The significant aspect is that it has storage of 64 GB. so which means you can run even the most intensive Linux applications.
This laptop also comes with incredible flexibility. You can hinge on this laptop up to 360 degrees. So you have the option to use it as a tablet or as a laptop. The backlighting on these keyboards makes them ideal for use at night or in poorly lit environments.
The touchpad of this laptop is free of flaws and accurate. Also, this laptop is lightweight, so it is easy to carry and highly portable.
- Glossy Display
- The touchscreen can be flipped
3. Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Laptop
The most appealing aspect of the Linux operating system is that it is entirely free. As a result, a laptop as inexpensive as this Dell Inspiron is a good match. There is one piece of fantastic news. Dell has now started selling laptops with pre-installed Linux operating systems. In this series, Dell Inspiron 15 3000 is one of the finest. It is pocket-friendly and works smoothly.
However, you cannot do some heavy work on it. It is apt for daily and straightforward use. A low-end Intel Celeron processor powers this laptop. The RAM of this laptop is 8GB which is qualified for regular use.
A 1080p monitor is enclosed within the plastic casing, which is uncommon at this pricing point. You are getting a high-definition display with this laptop. It comes with natural colors and makes the experience more magical.
The viewing angle is also vast, which makes it easy to watch videos. The keyboard is relatively comfy. It comes with two speakers that provide strong sound, allowing you to listen to a wide range of songs. There’s also a slew of several USB connections that you can use.
The laptop’s combination of outstanding features makes it vital to run practically any application or program without any lags or glitches. If you are looking for a low-cost Linux laptop for standard functions, though, I will find enough to like.
- Faster bootup
- Faster data transfer
- Anti-glare LED-Backlit
4. Dell XPS 13 7390 Laptop – Best Premium Pick
The XPS 13 is one of the finest Ultrabooks available. Not only that, but it is also one of the greatest Linux laptops available. It is due to Dell’s constant Linux support on a premium computer. You get the opportunity to customize the laptop in several ways. There is a RAM of 8GB that is sufficient.
You also get the chance to upgrade your RAM to 16GB. But to do that you have to pay some extra money. For light work, 8GB is acceptable; however, you have the upgrading option if you want to do some heavy multitasking. You are also getting complex drive alternatives with this Dell laptop.
These hard drives have a capacity of 512 and 256 GB.
XPS 13 comes in three different types of design. For the Linux system, there is an option available in platinum silver color, and it looks very stylish.
So, with all these features, it is becoming the popular choice among Linux users.
- 19 hours battery life
- Anti-Glare Display
- Fingerprint Reader
- Backlit Keyboard
5. ASUS ZenBook Flip
For everyone who wants the taste of two worlds into one laptop, an Asus laptop is for them. This is a traditional laptop where you can use the keyboard, but you can also get a modern touch screen! The laptop also comes with a stylus pen which makes the experience of touchscreen more flawless.
Also, it is a fast laptop in which you can get a tremendous display and a long battery life. You can use it for hours without getting worried about the battery drainage. This laptop provides one of the most safety features. There is biometric security and also face recognition. So, all the work is efficiently secured. It provides a quick and straightforward login. It is one of the reasons this laptop is so famous and helpful to everybody.
For people who are busy or they forget the passwords, biometric is very beneficial. This laptop has an AMD processor, which makes this laptop fast. The RAM of the laptop is 8GB so that you will get sufficient storage space. It also has Nvidia graphics which are responsible for its vivid, colorful display.
The screen of this Asus Zenbook may be tilted up to 178 degrees for the best viewing. The colors are natural-looking, with no over-saturation. The brightness panel allows you to adjust the brightness in daylight without any issue.
- Biometric security
- Facial recognition
- Fantastic graphics
It used to be challenging to locate a laptop that can efficiently run on a Linux operating system, but now things have changed. However, please be sure that the laptop you choose has all of the features you need.
Because of the robust and highly adaptable nature of Linux, ordinary consumers have begun to convert from Windows and Mac to Linux. But how can you select the most appropriate laptop for your needs?
We’ve compiled this guide to assist you in determining what to look for when purchasing a Linux laptop.
Pre-installed Linux operating system
The majority of laptops sold by big-box stores have mostly Windows operating systems, and the Apple devices have Mac operating systems.
Even though Linux OS is increasingly becoming mainstream, buying a laptop with a pre-installed Linux OS is still rare. But it is better to get a laptop in which you get a pre-installed Linux as it will be more comfortable.
Compatible With Open Source
If you have made your preferences about the laptops in mind and have decided which laptop you want to go for, then the next step comes. You have to check whether that laptop is compatible with Linux or not.
You can look in a variety of locations. So, look into the details of the product before purchasing it.
Before purchasing the Linux laptop, one critical point to keep in mind is what it would be used for. This is important because the type of work you’ll be doing on a Linux laptop may influence the system you purchased.
For example, if you want to play games on your laptop or other heavy work that requires sophisticated technology, then you’ll have to spend a little more money than if you’re going to use it for everyday tasks.
Battery life may not be a significant consideration for everyone, but it will pay off in the long run. Before buying, always check the battery life.
Make sure that the laptop you are getting must have at least six hours of battery. Anything below six hours is not recommended.
The CPU is the brain of any computer or laptop. It is responsible for all the work that a computer does. So, much importance must be given to it as it is responsible for executing many computer activities.
After CPU, another essential factor that determines the smooth functioning of a Linux laptop is the random access memory. It makes sure that any activity you are doing runs smoothly.
If you want to run all your applications properly, then you will need 4GB RAM. But if you’re going to do some high-end activities such as playing games, editing, then 8GB RAM is required.
Not much space is needed for a Linux laptop. So, you can work with any Hard disc. But if you have some specific requirements like playing video games and other stuff, you must have storage of 1TB or 500GB.
Security and privacy are some of the most significant concerns nowadays. So, if you want your data to be safe, you must look for a laptop with a high-security factor.
Go for a laptop that has a fingerprint scanner. It will stop any illegal access and also make your work more secure.
One of the most challenging chores is purchasing a laptop. There are a lot of variables to consider. However, don’t compromise on a product that just gets the job done when shopping for the most OK Linux laptop.
Instead, check the specification and complete details with all of the functionality and Linux compatibility. We have seen some of the best Linux laptops in this post. You can choose whatever seems best for you.
Is Linux pre-installed on any laptops?
Linux distributions such as Manjaro, elementary OS, and Mint are available pre-installed on laptops nowadays. You can also choose your preferred distributor on your laptop.
Is antivirus required for Linux?
Although antivirus software is not required on Linux OS, some individuals nevertheless advocate it as a precaution. Again antivirus software is not necessary because infections are uncommon, and Linux is intrinsically safer. But it is totally up to the user.
Is Linux supported on all laptops?
No, every laptop doesn’t support Linux. If you’re purchasing a laptop or a system specifically for Linux, then you have to be sure that it supports Linux or not.
Is it true that Linux makes a laptop faster?
Linux is a lightweight, high-performance OS that is virus-resistant. When all other factors are considered, any laptop or computer running on Linux will be quicker, more dependable, and safer.
Here are some other interesting models that you might like:
- HDMI, Camera, WiFi, Smart Card Reader
- Processor: Intel Core 6th Generation i5-6300U High Performance Processor (Dual Core, up to 3. 00 GHz, 3M Cache, 15W)
- 8 GB DDR4 Ram / 256 GB SATA Class 20 Solid State Drive (SSD).
- 12. 5 Inch HDF (1366 x 768) Anti Glare LCD, Intel HD 520 Graphics, HQ Camera, Intel Dual Band Wireless 8260 (802. 11ac) W/ Bluetooth, Camera, SD Card...
- Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit). Comes With AC Adapter.
- Aspect Ratio:16:9
- Efficient Intel Celeron N4020 Processor (4M Cache, up to 2.8 GHz)
- 11.6” HD (1366 x 768) Slim Display
- 64GB eMMC Flash Storage and 4GB DDR4 RAM
- Windows 10 in S Mode with One Year of Microsoft 365 Personal
- Aspect Ratio:16:9
- High performance laptop: The Chromebook S330 is equipped with a MediaTek MTK8173C Processor, Chrome OS, 4 GB LPDDR3, 64 GB eMMC 5.1 and so much more
- Sleek and stylish design: Sleek, stylish and secure, the Lenovo Chromebook S330 is less than one inch thin and 3.3 pounds light with a 14-inch FHD...
- Powerful processing: Perfect for all your daily computing needs, The Lenovo Chromebook S330 delivers a host of performance features. Enjoy powerful...
- Built to connect us: Full I/O support comes standard on the laptop computer with USB-C, micro SD and USB 3.0 for effortless connectivity. Further,...
- Certified Refurbished product has been tested and certified by the manufacturer or by a third-party refurbisher to look and work like new, with...
- 💻【Powerful Core】This laptop computer comes with a powerful and efficient Intel Gemini Lake N4020 processor, with a fundamental frequency of...
- 🔌【7 Ports Meet Daily Needs】This 14 inch windows laptop is Equipped with high-speed m.2, 1 x USB 3.0 + 1 x USB2.0, fast charging DC port, 3.5mm...
- 📶【Work Smart and Efficiently】CHUWI HeroBook Pro laptop computer have 6GB RAM, and 128 GB SSD storage. Up to 128GB TF expansion and a separate...
- ⭐【Every Day is an Earth Day】This lightweight windows laptop weighs only 3.06lb (1.39kg) and is as slim as 0.84 inches (2.13cm). It has a...
- 😊【One year Quality Guarantee】Free maintenance within one year after purchase, free return and exchange within three months. CHUWI strives to...
- GPD MicroPC has a Strong Performance with Ultra Low Power Consumption: Celeron N4120 processor, four cores, four threads, and thermal design of...
- GPD MicroPC is Compatible for IT fields and more with its rugged exterior: Network communication, electric power, exploration, mining, archaeology,...
- RAM/ROM: 8GB LPDDR4 RAM/256GB super capacity M.2 SSD for fast read and write speed (read:576MB/s, write: 465MB/s), replaceable, and infinite capacity...
- RJ45 interface for wired network access, and wireless Wi-Fi 2.4G/5G dual bands and compatible with BT 4.2 for dual-channel max. transfer rate of...
- Screen: 6 Inches Gorilla Glass 4, Sharp full-fit dazzling screen.(Not Touch Screen).OS:Windows 10 Pro Or Ubuntu MATE 18.10.Weigh Only 440 grams,Easy...